Brice's Auto Parts Inc./NAPA Auto Parts EMPA Photographer's Contest Rules For 2020/2021
Brice's NAPA EMPA Photo Contest Rules
Awards will be given for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each of the following categories:
Action-A SINGLE, non-crash, peak action photo
Action Sequence-A series of photographs which depict racing action in good taste. At least one of the photos must have been published.
Crash Action-A SINGLE photo depicting an accident or mishap.
Feature- A SINGLE photo which depicts something other than racing action.
Picture Story- A racing event portrayed by multiple photos. The photos should be inter-related to convey a singular story line. At least one photo must have been published.
Portrait and Personality- A SINGLE racing photo that revels a subject's character.
Pure Art- A photo showing the photographer’s creative work with digital photography. This photo may be enhanced or edited to fit the title of Pure Art. This category does not need to be published.
Unpublished-A SINGLE unpublished photo which shows the photographer's handiwork and creative talent.
Best of Show-A single image selected from the winners of the 8 categories listed above.
Portfolio of the Year-Four photos in a formal presentation as a demonstration of the photographer's craft. Three of the photos must be published and only one is allowed to be unpublished. All four files must have a “P” at the end of the file name.
Entries must include one (1) Action or Crash Action, one (1) Feature, and two (2) of your choice (any category except Pure Art). Only one (1) unpublished photo is eligible. Portfolio entries to be selected by the photographer from any of their entries in the 8 categories listed above.
- Judging will be done online by a panel of experts approved by the photo committee. The contest director and/or photo committee chairman will review all the rules with the panel of judges prior to the start of judging. Photos will be presented in an online gallery format. Photographer name will be hidden to the judges. Galleries will be posted prior to the judging for contestants to review and confirm their entries are in the proper category and all entered photos are present.
- An entering photographer will be limited to a total of eight (8) photos with no limit to the number of entries in each category. Each photo will constitute one (1) entry.
- Each file should be named as follows: ‘Category’_’Photographer’s Name’_’Sequence #’. Category name must be included in the file name to ensure entry into the proper category.
Portfolio entries must include ‘P’ at end of file name to ensure entry into Portfolio Example: Action_SmokeJohnson_1_P
- A tear sheet, screen shot, or web link verifying the photograph was published during the previous calendar year will be required for any entry placing in a category. Request for publication will arrive via email. Confirmation of publication must be returned within 72 hours of initial request.
- All photos will be submitted via a personal Google Drive folder, created by the contest committee. Access to folder will be limited to entrant and contest committee members only. If entrant’s folder is missing please contact Bob Yurko to request folder creation. Email address required to ensure proper access. Link to be distributed on November 28, 2020. Entries must be submitted by end of day on December 26, 2020, at which point folder access will be locked. It is the responsibility of the entrant to ensure photos are submitted in a timely manner, to their personal folder, and with the correct file name.
- No photo can be entered in more than one category.
- No printing, lettering, or watermark to be included on the image.
- File Info:
Other acceptable sizes (limiting long edge to no more than1600 pixels): 8”x10” @ 160 ppi
8”x12” @ 133 ppi 9”x16” @ 100 ppi 11”x14” @ 114 ppi
File Size - Action Sequence and Picture Story: 16”x20” file at 80 ppi or 1280 x 1600 pixel file at 72 ppi.
File Type – JPEG Color Space - sRGB
- Action Sequency and Picture Story must have a black background, with no outline or border around images.
- Judging will be conducted under the following rules:
- Judging of the photos will be done on photo content and impact ONLY.
- NO ONE but the contest director and/or photo committee chairman may speak to any of the judges until the judging is completed. Any offense of this ruling will lead to dismissal from the judging.
- Judges will offer constructive criticism of the winning entries after the judging is completed. THERE WILL BE NO RESPONSE FROM THE ENTRANTS.
- An attempt will be made to coordinate an online/phone conference for the judges to present their comments on the winning entries.
- PLEASE NOTE: Entries in this contest are to be photographs, not taken from videotaping procedure or by digital and computer enhancements. You must have a valid, current membership to enter the contest.
Be sure of the rules, don't chance disqualification. Questions? Call Bob Yurko 484 347-1768, Brent Smith 717-951-8687, or Dave Moulthrop. If any further assistance is needed (layout, sizing, editing, etc.) please reach out as well.